BK-'The Art of the Turnaround' by Michael Kaiser
$28.00[Member Price: $25.20 ]
Members get 10% off - JOIN NOW
Item Number: 1017378
About this Item
Creating and Maintaining Healthy Arts Organizations
by Michael M. Kaiser. Hardcover, 204 pages.
Many arts organizations today find themselves in financial difficulties because of economic constraints inherent in the industry. While other companies can improve productivity through the use of new technologies or better systems, these approaches are not available in the arts. Hamlet requires the same number of performers today as it did in Shakespeare's time. The New York Philharmonic requires the same number of musicians now as it did over one hundred years ago. Costs go up, but the size of theaters and the price resistance of patrons limit what can be earned from ticket sales. Therefore, the performing arts industry faces a severe gap between earnings and expenses. Typical approaches to closing the gap--raising ticket prices or cutting artistic or marketing expenses--don't work.
What, then, does it take to create and maintain a healthy arts organization?
Michael M. Kaiser has revived four major arts organizations: the Kansas City Ballet, the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, American Ballet Theatre, and London's Royal Opera House. In The Art of the Turnaround he shares with readers his ten basic rules for bringing financially distressed arts organizations back to life and keeping them strong. These rules cover the requirements for successful leadership, the pitfalls of cost cutting, extending the programming calendar, effective marketing and fund raising, and the importance of focusing on the present with a positive message. In chapters organized chronologically, Kaiser brings his ten rules vividly to life in discussions of the four arts organizations he is credited with saving.
Mr. Kaiser has written two other books:
You Might Also Like
- $18.00 BK -- N is for Our Nation's Capital: A Washington DC Alphabet
- $10.00 "Spain Body and Soul" by H.M. van den Brink
- $17.00 "Tallulah's Solo" by Marilyn Singer
- $20.00 "The Cuisine of the Sun" by Mireille Johnston
- $10.00 A Time it Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
- $20.00 Address Book-'Dance, Love, Sing, Live'
- $15.00 AMERICAN HERO
- $8.00 BK - 'Mosby, the Kennedy Center Cat'
- $12.00 BK - Degas (Artists in Focus)
- $13.00 BK - Fodor's Around Washington, D.C. with Kids
- $15.00 BK - Long May She Wave
- $18.00 BK - Riding In My Car
- $25.00 BK - She Walks in Beauty
- $10.00 BK - The Kennedy Brothers: The Rise and Fall of Jack and Bobby
$15.00 BK - The Nation's Stage
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- $23.00 BK -- A is for America
- $9.95 BK -- Conversation Starters by Michael M. Kaiser
- $15.00 BK MODERN MEDITERR COOKING
- $25.00 BK PICASSO AND MOD BRITISH ART
- $40.00 BK PICASSO: MUSEE NATIONAL PAR
- $25.00 BK- 'Leading Roles' by Michael Kaiser
- $8.00 BK-'Murder at the Kennedy Center' by Margaret Truman
- $6.00 BK-'True Compass' by Edward Kennedy
- $40.00 Book - Becoming Picasso: Paris 1901
- $13.00 BOOK SPANISH TILE DESIGNS
- $15.00 Fruitcake Christmas Cards
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'Great Lines from Great Movies' Volume I
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'What Do You Know About JFK?'
- $10.00 Lion King Souvenir Program
- $20.00 TAPAS AND OTHER SPANISH PLATES
- $10.00 TAPAS DELICIOUS LITTLE DISHES