BK- 'Leading Roles' by Michael Kaiser
$25.00[Member Price: $22.50 ]
Members get 10% off - JOIN NOW
Item Number: 1021429
About this Item
Leading Roles: 50 Questions Every Arts Board Should Ask
Not-for-profit arts organizations struggled to survive the recent economic recession. In this increasingly hardscrabble environment, it is absolutely imperative that the boards of these organizations function as energetically, creatively, and efficiently as possible.
Michael M. Kaiser's personal history with boards of arts organizations began when he served on the board of the Washington Opera (now the Washington National Opera) in 1983. Today, in his capacity as president of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Kaiser recently completed a 50-state, 69-city Arts in Crisis tour. Board issues came up repeatedly as central to the success or failure of the organization.
Drawing on these and many other conversations, nationally and internationally, Kaiser's book offers members of boards and staffs the information they need to create the healthy atmosphere necessary to thriving arts organizations. Organized in a clear, readable, question-and-answer format, Leading Roles covers every aspect of board participation in the life of the organization, including mission and governance; fundraising and marketing responsibilities; the relationship of the board to the artistic director, executive director, and staff; and its responsibilities for planning and budgeting. Throughout, he emphasizes the importance of transparency and clarity in the board's dealings with its own members and those of the arts community of which it is a part, showing how anything less results in contentiousness that can immobilize an arts organization, or even tear it apart.
Mr. Kaiser has written two other books:
The Art of the Turnaround
You Might Also Like
- $18.00 BK -- N is for Our Nation's Capital: A Washington DC Alphabet
- $10.00 A Time it Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
- $20.00 Address Book-'Dance, Love, Sing, Live'
- $15.00 AMERICAN HERO
- $8.00 BK - 'Mosby, the Kennedy Center Cat'
- $13.00 BK - Fodor's Around Washington, D.C. with Kids
- $8.00 BK - Gorey CAT eGory Book 50 Drawings
- $15.00 BK - Long May She Wave
- $18.00 BK - Riding In My Car
- $18.00 BK - The Girl Who Wanted to Dance
- $15.00 BK - The Kennedy Brothers: The Rise and Fall of Jack and Bobby
$15.00 BK - The Nation's Stage
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- $23.00 BK -- A is for America
- $9.95 BK -- Conversation Starters by Michael M. Kaiser
- $10.00 BK- Donald and the ... & Donald Has a Diffficulty
- $10.00 BK-'A Patriot's Handbook' by Caroline Kennedy
- $8.00 BK-'Murder at the Kennedy Center' by Margaret Truman
- $28.00 BK-'The Art of the Turnaround' by Michael Kaiser
- $9.00 BK-'The Remembered Visit' by Edward Gorey
- $10.00 BK-'The Sopping Thursday' by Edward Gorey
- $6.00 BK-'True Compass' by Edward Kennedy
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'Great Lines from Great Movies' Volume I
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'What Do You Know About JFK?'
- $10.00 Lion King Souvenir Program
- $27.00 THE CYCLE MICHAEL KAISER