BK- 'Leading Roles' by Michael Kaiser
$25.00[Member Price: $22.50 ]
Members get 10% off - JOIN NOW
Item Number: 1021429
About this Item
Leading Roles: 50 Questions Every Arts Board Should Ask
Not-for-profit arts organizations struggled to survive the recent economic recession. In this increasingly hardscrabble environment, it is absolutely imperative that the boards of these organizations function as energetically, creatively, and efficiently as possible.
Michael M. Kaiser's personal history with boards of arts organizations began when he served on the board of the Washington Opera (now the Washington National Opera) in 1983. Today, in his capacity as president of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Kaiser recently completed a 50-state, 69-city Arts in Crisis tour. Board issues came up repeatedly as central to the success or failure of the organization.
Drawing on these and many other conversations, nationally and internationally, Kaiser's book offers members of boards and staffs the information they need to create the healthy atmosphere necessary to thriving arts organizations. Organized in a clear, readable, question-and-answer format, Leading Roles covers every aspect of board participation in the life of the organization, including mission and governance; fundraising and marketing responsibilities; the relationship of the board to the artistic director, executive director, and staff; and its responsibilities for planning and budgeting. Throughout, he emphasizes the importance of transparency and clarity in the board's dealings with its own members and those of the arts community of which it is a part, showing how anything less results in contentiousness that can immobilize an arts organization, or even tear it apart.
Mr. Kaiser has written two other books:
The Art of the Turnaround
You Might Also Like
- $40.00 "Away from the White House" by Lawrence L. Knutson
- $85.00 "Ballet: Photographs of the New York Company Ballet" by Henry Leutwyler
- $18.00 "Bats in the Band" by Brian Lies
- $20.00 "Bird & Diz" by Gary Golio; Illustrated by Ed Young
- $30.00 "Camelot's Court: Inside the Kennedy White House" by Robert Dallek
- $17.00 "Every Little Thing" by Cedella Marley
- $18.00 "Firebird" by Misty Copeland; Illustrated by Christopher Myers
- $16.00 "Francis Dean Who Loved to Dance and Dance" by Birgita Sif
- $18.00 "Josephine" by Patricia Hruby Powell; Christian Robinson (Illustrator)
- $25.00 "Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures"
- $18.00 "Mariella Mouse in the Opera House" by Dottie Withrow
- $12.00 "Nuevas Historias: A New View of Spanish Photography & Art " by Timothy Persons
- $50.00 "Opera" by David Leventi
- $12.00 "Songs from a Journey with a Parrot" by Magdeleine Lerasle
- $17.00 "Swing Stories" by Karen Deans
- $17.00 "Tallulah's Solo" by Marilyn Singer
- $17.00 "Tallulah's Toe Shoes" by Marilyn Singer
- $17.00 "Tallulah's Tutu" by Marilyn Singer
- $20.00 "The Cuisine of the Sun" by Mireille Johnston
- $25.00 "The Dream Factory: Fender Custom Shop" byTom Wheeler
- $17.00 "This Jazz Man" by Karen Ehrhardt
- $2.00 "Unleashed: Lives of the White House Pets" Adapted by Ronald Kidd
- $30.00 "Wagner's The Eternal Ring" Compiled by Nancy Ellison
- $8.00 'Murder at the Kennedy Center' by Margaret Truman
- $28.00 'The Art of the Turnaround' by Michael Kaiser
- $10.00 A Time it Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
- $20.00 Address Book-'Dance, Love, Sing, Live'
- $15.00 AMERICAN HERO
- $13.00 Ballet Scratch & Sketch Book
- $8.00 BK - 'Mosby, the Kennedy Center Cat'
- $13.00 BK - Fodor's Around Washington, D.C. with Kids
- $15.00 BK - Long May She Wave
- $18.00 BK - Riding In My Car
- $25.00 BK - She Walks in Beauty
- $10.00 BK - The Kennedy Brothers: The Rise and Fall of Jack and Bobby
$15.00 BK - The Nation's Stage
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- $9.95 BK -- Conversation Starters by Michael M. Kaiser
- $6.00 BK-'True Compass' by Edward Kennedy
- $8.00 BOOK SPANISH TILE DESIGNS
- $15.00 Fruitcake Christmas Cards
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'Great Lines from Great Movies' Volume I
- $10.00 Knowledge Cards-'What Do You Know About JFK?'
- $10.00 Lion King Souvenir Program
- $15.00 Pocket Guide-'Little Black Book of Washington DC'
- $27.00 THE CYCLE MICHAEL KAISER