National Symphony Orchestra: Labor Day Capitol Concert 2015
National Symphony Orchestra: Season Opening Ball Concert: Christoph Eschenbach & Steven Reineke, conductors
NSO Pops: Rajaton: Best of The Beatles
National Symphony Orchestra: Donald Runnicles, conductor: Olga Peretyatko, soprano, sings R. Strauss / Works by Mozart & Elgar
National Symphony Orchestra: Ludovic Morlot, conductor: Miloš Karadaglic, classical guitar, plays Rodrigo / Works by Berlioz, Ravel, & Dukas
1. What university or conservatory did you attend?
Luther College (Iowa).
a. Was it for music?
Yes, and liberal arts.
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
Mahler's 2nd Symphony
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
A nap and quiet time for prayer and meditation.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
Concert in Bolshoi Hall, Moscow, 1990 Tour.
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
Bach Cantata No. 80, Strauss Four Last Songs, Brahms Requiem.
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
Very much. Dad was a band director and played trombone. Mom sang and taught piano. All my brothers and sisters had musical talent.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
A major league baseball player.
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
1968 All-State Festival (orchestra).
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
Monuments, history, pretty countryside.
9. Do you have any pets?
10. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
Reading, golfing, good conversation, letter writing, church activities.
12. Favorite movie:
13. Favorite book:
Bible, and I love Plato, Schopenauer, William James, C.S. Lewis.
14. Favorite sports team:
15. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
I've been married 40 years to a wonderful, talented, intelligent wife.