NSO Pops: Indigo Girls
National Symphony Orchestra: Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite / Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade
National Symphony Orchestra: Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 / Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks
NSO Family Concert: Peter and the Wolf in Hollywood
New England Conservatory
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
The core Germanic repertoire appeals to me the most: Brahms, Schumann, Schubert, Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler and Strauss
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
In addition to my NSO duties, I teach at the University of Maryland, I run a small business and I have two active children at home. My pre-concert ritual these days is usually drinking an espresso.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
President Bill Clinton conducted the NSO in Stars and Stripes at a White House State Dinner. He was giving cues and gesturing for louds and softs. Amazing.
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
J.S. Bach: Suites for Unaccompanied Cello
"Peg" by Steely Dan
Scotland, The Brave on highland bagpipes
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
I grew up in a blue-collar New England household where music was highly valued. My parents sang in a folk group (it was the 60's!) and my sisters either played in band or sang in chorus, so we were all active in music to one degree or another.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
A football player
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
I knew by my 2nd year of high school that I wanted to play bass trombone in an orchestra.
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
It's a great place to raise a family.
9. Where is your favorite DC hangout?
The Old Ebbitt Grill. It is the "go to" place for my wife and me on date nights for a glass of wine and oysters on the half shell.
10. Do you have any pets?
11. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
Travelling internationally with my wife and kids on vacation.
12. Favorite movie:
The Big Lebowski
13. Favorite book:
To Kill a Mockingbird
14. Favorite sports team:
Boston Red Sox
15. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
One of my favorite things to do on the bass trombone is to play incredibly soft.
National Symphony Orchestra
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20566
P.O. Box 101510
Arlington, VA 22210