NSO Pops: Indigo Girls
National Symphony Orchestra: Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite / Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade
National Symphony Orchestra: Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 / Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks
NSO Family Concert: Peter and the Wolf in Hollywood
I received my BA from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, and my master's degree from the Juilliard School.
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
I love the big orchestral pieces like Mahler and also the smaller works written for chamber orchestra.
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
I usually warm up on stage for about a half hour and then grab a cup of coffee right before the concert.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
Probably when the NSO returned to Russia with Rostropovich in 1990.
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
I don't listen to much music off stage...I am fortunate to hear so much great music on the job.
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
Yes. My mother is an amateur violist, and my older brother Jeff is a violinist in the Royal Opera in Stockholm, Sweden.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
By the time I figured that out, I was already a pretty serious young cellist. I just stayed on that path.
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
I was in my early teens when I realized I loved playing the cello.
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
The diversity and the amazing ethnic restaurants. Also the beauty of the city and the surrounding areas.
9. Where is your favorite DC hangout?
Hard to say...so many great spots...usually involves food!
10. Do you have any pets?
Not at this time. We will get another dog in September when our summer travel is over.
11. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
I love to cook and spend time with my family and friends. I also enjoy playing golf.
12. Favorite movie:
13. Favorite book:
Into the Wild
14. Favorite sports team:
San Francisco 49ers
15. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
I have an identical twin brother.
National Symphony Orchestra
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20566
P.O. Box 101510
Arlington, VA 22210