National Symphony Orchestra: David Zinman, conductor: Angela Hewitt, piano, plays Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 22 / Works by R. Strauss & Schoenberg
The Kennedy Center Chamber Players: Works by Debussy, Ives, Saint-Saëns, & Beethoven
Organ Recital: Jeremy Filsell, organ (presented by the National Symphony Orchestra)
NSO Pops: Danny Elfman's Music from the Films of Tim Burton / John Mauceri, conductor
Curtis Institute of Music, Class of 2013 (Yes, I majored in music.)
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
Respighi's Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome; Richard Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra; Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
I always carefully tune my instrument and I usually pluck out a jazz tune or two to get my hands warmed up.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
Since I just joined this season, my favorite moment so far was when I was told after the audition that I got the job. I was so unbelievably happy!
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
Brahms Op. 118, No. 2 (solo piano), "Set Me Free" by Phonat, and "Dancing in the Dark" performed by Cannonball Adderly on his album "Somethin Else"
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
Yes. My mother is a flutist, and she gave me my very first music lessons on recorder when I was in preschool. Both of my two younger brothers are also musicians, and my father even jams out on piano sometimes.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
I realized fairly early on that I wanted to do something with music...Although for a time I really wanted to become a professional skateboarder.
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
The moment I often cite as the one that made me realize I wanted to play in an orchestra full time was in All-State orchestra my freshman year of high school. We performed the Finale to Shostakovich 5, and by the end I was almost in tears I was so moved by the power that an orchestra is capable of.
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
I love all of the museums being free!
9. Where is your favorite DC hangout?
Java House near DuPont Circle
10. Do you have any pets?
11. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
I enjoy making electronic music on my laptop
12. Favorite movie:
13. Favorite book:
The Sun Also Rises
14. Favorite sports team:
15. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
I pride myself on my ping-pong game.