1. What university or conservatory did you attend?
The University of Georgia - Bachelor of Music Education
Manhattan School of Music - Master of Music - Orchestral Performance
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
My all-time favorites are Brahms's Variations on a theme of Haydn, Mahler's 1st Symphony, and Beethoven Piano Concertos 3, 4, and 5.
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
It depends on the concert, but I almost always take a nap or at least have a half hour of rest in order to refocus my mind. I also try to eat a light, healthy meal - nothing heavy, and no coffee.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
Definitely the European tour last year. Playing in the beautiful concert halls was such an honor, and we had a fun time sight-seeing on our days off!
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
Beethoven Piano Concertos 4 & 5, Dave Matthews Band (can't narrow it down), and Alison Krauss.
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
Yes! My mother also has a music education degree and is a soprano, very active in local choruses. My father enjoys singing in his church choir, and my sister played piano and horn throughout her school years.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
I wanted to be an astronaut or a writer until I saw Les Miserables at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Then I wanted to play horn in a pit!
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
I think when I moved to New York City for grad school.
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
I love all the trails, parks, and water, and I love how close we are to the mountains and country. Plus there's so much to do!
9. Where is your favorite DC hangout?
My husband and I enjoy walking around Old Town Alexandria, and we always take our out-of-town guests to the FDR memorial.
10. Do you have any pets?
I have a three-year-old black dog named Georgia.
11. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
I love to hike and bike and if I'm indoors I'm either cooking or knitting.
12. Favorite movie:
Gone With the Wind (I'm from Georgia!)
13. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I am a long-time fan of "The Young and the Restless." I've been watching it since college!