The Juilliard School has set this country’s standard for education in the performing arts since its 1905 founding. In 1968, Juilliard became one of the original—and only academic—constituents of Lincoln Center. Its esteemed music programs were joined by a Dance Division (est. 1951) and Drama Division (est. 1968). In 2001, Juilliard broke new ground by opening its pre-professional Juilliard Institute for Jazz Studies and since has added bachelor and master of music degree programs in jazz. Juilliard’s student body is drawn from 47 states and represented by 50 foreign countries, its alumni among the best known and respected artists worldwide. Juilliard’s second century has begun with a major expansion of its facilities adding 39,000 square feet of state-of-the-art studios, theaters, rehearsal halls, centers for music technology and writing/communication. A secure facility for storage and use of the priceless Juilliard Manuscript Collection is an important part of the renovation. The School continues to grow with and respond to the needs of a thriving cultural community in the U.S. and abroad.
Students from participating Conservatory Project schools play selections from works by Widor, Schumann, Buxtehude, Smetana, Shostakovich, Demessieux, Litaize, Albright, Dupre, Ellington, Bach, Cochereau, and others on the Rubenstein Family Organ. Part of the Conservatory Project.
The school’s PUFF! Quintet performs works by Elliot Carter, Jean Françaix, Nicholas Csicsko, and John Harbison.