Ashley C. Wheater, Artistic Director
with the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra
and The Arlington Children's Chorus
Conceived and directed by Robert Joffrey
Selected choreography by Gerald Arpino
Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
"A theatrical event of irresistible power"
--The Washington Post
"A warm, lavish tribute to fantasy, family, and classic dance"
--The Chicago Tribune
Boasting larger-than-life Victorian America scenery and costumes, entrancing storytelling, Tchaikovsky's beloved score, and invigorating dancing that could only be found in a dream, The Joffrey Ballet's The Nutcracker "could easily melt an old-fashioned snowstorm with its unique combination of warmth, charm, grandeur, and superb performances" (The Chicago Sun-Times). Fresh from celebrating its 25th anniversary, this awe-inspiring version of the perennial classic from Chicago's world-renowned company returns to dazzle and delight Washington audiences over the Thanksgiving holiday.
The Joffrey's "elegantly unified production" (The Washington Post) brings the magic of the season to life like no other Nutcracker, swirling with heroic toy soldiers, sword-fighting mice, the glittering Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, a giant Mother Ginger, and a journey to the Kingdom of Sweets. From start to finish, The Joffrey Ballet's The Nutcracker is one to cherish with the entire family--for the joy of its fairy-tale comforts, and for the excitement in discovering something new, every time.
Performance Timing: Act One - 50 min.; Intermission - 20 min.; Act Two - 52 min.
- The Joffrey Ballet Official Website
- The Joffrey Ballet Twitter Official Twitter of The Joffrey Ballet
- Ballet Supernumerary Program Information about The Kennedy Center Ballet Supernumerary Program
- The Joffrey Ballet Blog Official Blog of The Joffrey Ballet
- The Joffrey Ballet Facebook Official Facebook page of The Joffrey Ballet
- The Joffrey Ballet Pinterest Official Pinterest of The Joffrey Ballet
- The Joffrey Ballet YouTube Official YouTube of The Joffrey Ballet
- About Ballet at the Kennedy Center
The Kennedy Center’s Ballet Season is presented with the support of
Elizabeth and Michael Kojaian.
This event has already closed.
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.