A song-filled, flip-flopped, Rio-inspired take on the classic Dickens novel!
OLIVÉRio: A Brazilian TwistA world premiere Kennedy Center commission Inspired by Oliver Twist by Charles DickensBook and lyrics by Karen ZacaríasMusic by Deborah Wicks La PumaDirected by Juliette Carrillo
Cast features Felicia Curry as "Olivério" – and Rayanne Gonzales, James Konicek, Donna Migliaccio, Sasha Olinick, Erika Rose and Arturo Soria
Live Brazilian band features Bruno Lucini, percussion, Leonardo Lucini, bass, Richard Miller, guitar
It's New Year's Eve in Rio de Janeiro! Everyone in the city is making their annual pilgrimage to the beach, in hopes that the goddess of the sea will grant them their wishes. Esperanza Olivério, a young girl from the Brazilian desert, has found herself upon the shore not asking, but thanking, and even the goddess is struck by her innocence. But con man Falcao has other plans for "Oli," like using her genuine charm to steal from wealthy strangers. Supported by two new friends - Falcao's spunky apprentice Zé Esquiva and wash maid Nanci - might Oli's big dreams help them escape a life on the streets? Or will the ways of the city and its poor favela
neighborhoods lead to even more hardship ahead?
Inspired by Oliver Twist
, this new musical mixes fantasy, shifting identities, and a healthy helping of humor to explore the cultural melting pot of modern-day Rio. Original songs and music bring to life samba, capoeira, Carnaval, and other Brazilian traditions, while Oli's inspiring story proves there's more to family than you might think - and it's never too late to ask for just "a little more" hope in the world.
Flip through the digital version of our colorful Cuesheet magazine
. Share it with your family before attending the show--to make the most of your experience together!Most enjoyed by age 8 and up. NOTE: All children must have a ticket, regardless of age.Performance Timing: 70 minutes, with no intermission.
Note: The 1:30 p.m. performance on Sun., February 14 is Sensory-Friendly.
are designed to create a theater experience that is welcoming to all families with children on the autism spectrum or with other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.Accommodations for Sensory-Friendly performances include:
* Lower volume and consistent sound levels (no jarring sounds);
* Lights remaining at a low level in the theater during the performance;
* A reduction of strobe lighting focused on the audience;
* An understanding that patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance;
* Short performance times, lasting 60-75 minutes with no intermission;
* Designated quiet areas within the theater;
* Space throughout the theater for standing and movement;
* Smaller crowds and a limited number of visitors at the Kennedy Center during the day and timing of the performance; and
* Trained Kennedy Center staff members who are inviting and accommodating to families' needs.
Families will also have access to resource materials to prepare for their visit. Please contact the Accessibility Office at 202-416-8727 (voice/relay) or email@example.com for more information.