Washington National Opera presents a new production of Gershwin's great work Porgy and Bess, staged by renowned American director Francesca Zambello. The amazing musical score, filled with favorites like "Summertime" and "It Ain't Necessarily So," is conducted by Gershwin specialist Wayne Marshall. The impressive double cast is led by Gordon Hawkins and Kevin Short as Porgy; Indira Mahajan and Morenike Fadayomi as Bess; and Jermaine Smith as Sportin' Life.
In English with English supertitles.
NOTE: Supertitles are not visible from Rear Orchestra.
- "'Porgy': Heaven the Whole Night Long" The Washington Post" – Washington, DC (Oct. 31, 2005)
- "A Gershwin Gala" The Washington Post – Washington DC (Nov. 03, 2005)
- "Southern Md. 'Sons' Sing Lead in 'Porgy and Bess'" The Washington Post – Washington, DC (Nov. 06, 2005)
- "The Baritone's Deeper Resonance: Gordon Hawkins Wants His Porgy to Stand Up -- and Out" The Washington Post – Washington, DC (Oct. 29, 2005)
- "Under Blue Skies, Thunder for 'Porgy'" The Washington Post – Washington, DC (Nov. 07, 2005)
- Related – "Opera Sets 'Sophie's Choice' for '06 The Washington Post– Washington, DC (Dec.6, 2005)
- Review "'Porgy and Bess' Second Cast Shimmers With Its Own Stars" The Washington Post" – Washington, DC (Nov. 07 2005)
This event has already closed.
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.