American Ballet TheatreAmerican Ballet Theatre is recognized as one of the great dance companies in the world, for its combination of size, scope and outreach. Since its foundation in 1940, ABT annually tours the United States, performing for more than 600,000 people, and is the only major cultural institution to do so. It has also made more than 15 international tours to 42 countries and been sponsored by the State Department of the United States on many of these engagements. When American Ballet Theatre was launched in 1939, the aim was to develop a repertoire of the best ballets from the past and to encourage the creation of new works by gifted young choreographers, wherever they might be found. Under the direction of Lucia Chase and Oliver Smith from 1940 to 1980, the Company more than fulfilled that aim.
Cast and Company
Video and Audio
- American Ballet Theatre's company website: View American Ballet Theatre's performance schedule, photos and more.
- AmericanBalletTheatre,: America's National Ballet Company
- Michele Wiles and David Hallberg of American Ballet Theatre 2002: in Grand Pas Classique 2002 Part II
- "A World of Spins and Leaps": The Washington Post
- "Arranging a Spring Bouquet of Ballet: Festival in March Blends Half-Dozen Troupes": The Washington Post
- Review - "ABT's 'Romeo And Juliet': A Man's World": The Washington Post - Washington, DC (Feb. 6, 2006)
- Review - "Juliet Is the Sun": The Washington Post
Gift Shop Items
- DVD-The Nutcracker featuring Mikhail Baryshnikov (DVD/VIDEO)
"The Nutcracker" is Mikhail Baryshnikov's breathtaking and critically acclaimed Emmy nominated production. This spectacular performance is danced by t...