VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education
a Jean Kennedy Smith Arts and Disability Program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
The 2014 VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference (July 23-25, 2014) is now open for registration! Click here to register for this year's conference.
The arts play a vital role in the education of children with disabilities in and out of traditional classrooms and educational environments, from pre-K through the 12th grade and beyond, to sustain achievement academically, socially and as engaged citizens of the twenty-first century.
Our programs and resources at the intersection of arts education and special education include:
- Hosting an annual conference, "VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education"which provides attendees with innovative and thought provoking sessions addressing an array of topics and emerging issues relevant to providing students with disabilities access to and engagement in arts educational programming.
- Hosting an annual forum which brings together leaders working at the intersection of arts education and special education, to examine 21st century opportunities and issues that converge at that intersection.
- Publications of exemplary programs and approaches at the intersection of arts education and special education.
- Webinars for teachers and teaching artists that provide professional development in arts education and special education.
- Work throughout the year with national leaders on arts education and special education initiatives.
- A bibliography of journal articles on arts education and special education.
- Start with the Arts, which is chock full of excellent art activities for the very young learner that both teachers and parents find fun.
- For more educational resources, visit Arts Edge, the Kennedy Center's free digital resource for teaching and learning in, through, and about the arts.