Start with the Arts
Providing creative learning opportunities through the arts in hundreds of classrooms across the country!
Start with the Arts is an instructional program created by VSA for pre-school and early elementary school learners that uses the arts to assist young children, including those with disabilities, in exploring themes commonly taught in early childhood classrooms.
Start with the Arts:
- Builds and strengthens specific skills in literacy and the arts by developing children's creativity
- Uses arts and literary activities to engage children in expressing concepts, thoughts and feelings
- Helps children to develop their understanding of their personal relationship to the world around them
- Includes resources for parents to continue their children's learning at home
Preview excerpts from the Start with the Arts Teacher's Guide online:
- Start with the Arts - Introduction
- Start with the Arts - Using a Thematic Approach
- Visual Arts sample activity: Getting to Know Me
- Creative Movement sample activity: Watch Me Move
- Music sample activity: Moods and Feelings
- Creative Drama sample activity: Puppet Interview
You can now download an accessible version of the Start With the Arts in its entirety or in chapters for free!
- Full Start with Arts Program.pdf
- Chapter 1.pdf Introduction: A Guide for Inclusive Practice In Your Classroom
- Chapter 2.pdf All About Me (18 Lessons)
- Chapter 3.pdf How I Go From Here to There (12 Lessons)
- Chapter 4.pdf Feeling Hot, Cold and Wet (12 Lessons)
- Chapter 5.pdf The World Around Me (12 Lessons)
- Chapter 6.pdf Kindergarten Through 4th Grade National Standards for Arts Education (1994)
- Chapter 7.pdf Resources List
- Chapter 8.pdf Bibliography
For more information about the Start with the Arts program please contact us.