Such Sweet Thunder featuring the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra
The SJMO will perform Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn's Shakespeare-inspired compositions interspersed with soliloquies, scenes, and speeches from the Bard.
- Sun., May 20, 2007, 8:00 PM
- Concert Hall
- 2 hours
- $20.00 - $45.00
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.
Musical Director: David Baker
Director of Choreography: Mercedes Ellington
Host: Avery Brooks
Avery Brooks, The Duke
Helen Carey, The Queen
David Costabile, The Lunatic
Karen Pittman, The Lover
Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra
Students of the Washington School of Ballet
The National Museum of American History is the home of Duke Ellington's vast archives and the nation's jazz band, The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (SJMO). Presented by the Kennedy Center, the SJMO will perform an inter-disciplinary production of Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn's Shakespeare-inspired compositions interspersed with soliloquies, scenes, and speeches from the Bard's various works. It promises to be a fabulous night of swingin' big band, toe-tapping dance, sizzling hot vocals, and Shakespearean fun--including exciting premieres of new music and choreography! Part of Shakespeare in Washington.
- About Jazz at the Kennedy Center
- About Platinum Series at the Kennedy Center
- Shakespeare in Washington More than 60 local, national, and international organizations will celebrate Shakespeare's life and work through performance, exhibits, and lectures at venues throughout the city.
- The Shakespeare Explorer An Interactive Exploration of the Bard's Legacy