St. Luke's Chamber Ensemble (Dec. 20)
New York's preeminent chamber group returns with an uplifting holiday concert featuring J.S. Bach's complete Brandenburg concerto cycle.
- Thu., Dec. 20, 2007, 7:30 PM
- Terrace Theater
- Approx. 100 minutes
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.
"Fresh and invigorating"
--The New York Times
"No one has expressed [Bach's] joyousness and abandon better than this splendid ensemble... the result is a pure delight."
--American Record Guide
Johann Sebastian Bach's uplifting Brandenburg concerti are a benchmark of the Baroque period. Now New York's preeminent chamber group performs all six of these beloved masterworks, after treating Fortas audiences to one from the cycle during its 2004 Kennedy Center debut. From the trumpet flourish in No. 2...to the poignant strings in Nos. 3 and 6...to the explosive harpsichord in No. 5...each of these concerti explores the interplay within different combinations of instruments. In the spirit of the holidays, the 21 virtuoso artists of St. Luke's Chamber Ensemble reveal a wonderfully joyful side to Bach's immortal genius.
Program and Notes
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 in F major, BWV 1046
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F major, BWV 1047
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major, BWV 1048
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G major, BWV 1049
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 in B-flat major, BWV 1051