NSO Kinderkonzert: Peter & the Wolf
Those wonderful wind instruments give voice to a little boy named Peter and a wolf on the prowl in Prokofiev's beloved musical tale. Age 4+
- Sat., Jun. 22, 2013
- Family Theater
- 50 minutes
Peter and the Wolf
Those wonderful wind instruments give voice to a little boy named Peter and a wolf on the prowl in Prokofiev's beloved musical tale. A woodwind quintet of NSO musicians--Alice Weinreb, flute; Nicholas Stovall, oboe; Loren Kitt, clarinet; Truman Harris, bassoon; and Laurel Ohlson, horn--introduces young audiences to the storytelling magic of music in this family favorite. For age 4 and up.
Come early for the Musical Instrument "Petting Zoo." Starting one hour before each Kinderkonzert, this hands-on activity in the Kennedy Center Hall of States gives children a chance to get up close with the instruments they'll see played on stage--from violins and trumpets to oboes and flutes. A project of the Women's Committee for the NSO.
Note: The 11 a.m. performance on Sat., June 22 is Sensory-Friendly.
Sensory-Friendly Performances are designed to create a theater experience that is welcoming to all families with children on the autism spectrum or with other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.
Accommodations for these performances include:
* Lower volume and consistent sound levels (no jarring sounds);
* Lights remaining at a low level in the theater during the performance;
* A reduction of strobe lighting focused on the audience;
* An understanding that patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance;
* Short performance times, lasting 60-75 minutes with no intermission;
* Designated quiet areas within the theater;
* Space throughout the theater for standing and movement;
* Smaller crowds and a limited number of visitors at the Kennedy Center during the day and timing of the performance; and
* Trained Kennedy Center staff members who are inviting and accommodating to families' needs.
Families will also have access to resource materials to prepare for their visit. Please contact the Accessibility Office at 202-416-8727 (voice/relay) or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
David and Alice Rubenstein are the Presenting Underwriters of the NSO.
Performances for Young Audiences is made possible by
Additional support for Performances for Young Audiences is provided in part by The Clark Charitable Foundation; Mr. James V. Kimsey; The Macy*s Foundation; The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation; Park Foundation, Inc.; Paul M. Angell Family Foundation; an endowment from the Ryna and Melvin Cohen Family Foundation; U.S. Department of Education; Washington Gas; and by generous contributors to the Abe Fortas Memorial Fund, and by a major gift to the fund from the late Carolyn E. Agger, widow of Abe Fortas.
Education and related artistic programs are made possible through the generosity of the
National Committee for the Performing Arts and the President’s Advisory Committee on the Arts.
Group of 20 or more? Group Sales offers special terms and discounts for most performances.
Tickets & Schedule
- Audio Described
- Exclusive presale to donors
- Exclusive presale to WNO Subscribers
- Exclusive presale to NSO Subscribers
- On sale to MyTix members
11:00 AM Sold Out
1:30 PM Sold Out