Washington National Opera: Lucia di Lammermoor
In this psychologically gripping opera, Lucia relinquishes her sanity, killing her bridegroom and finally succumbing to madness in one of opera's most tragic and musically dramatic scenes.
- Opera House
- 2 hours, 35 minutes
- $25.00 - $300.00
Libretto by Salvadore Cammarano
Production from English National Opera
Based on the novel The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott
Lucia will suffer for her brother's triumphs.
In Donizetti's dark drama, young Lucia is caught in the middle of a feud between her family and the man she loves. Forced by her brother to forsake her love and marry for money, she loses more than her happiness--she loses her mind. After she kills her bridegroom, Lucia plunges headlong into madness to Donizetti's magnificent score in one of opera's most famous, horrifying, and musically gorgeous scenes.
Acclaimed director David Alden's dark and compelling production "turns Donizetti's most popular work into an examination of Victorian psychopathology, and the results are often extreme" (The Guardian). Featuring two dazzling casts and conducted by WNO Music Director Philippe Auguin, you won't want to miss this operatic thriller that seems like "a novel that Emily Brontë or the young Charles Dickens should have written" (The Daily Telegraph).
Performed in Italian with English supertitles. Supertitles may not be visible from the rear of the orchestra.
The performance runs approximately 2 hours, 35 minutes, with one 20-minute intermission.
O-Zone Lecture: Free pre-performance lecture in the Opera House - Thu., Nov. 10 at 6:15 p.m. Patrons must present a ticket or stub from any performance of this production.
Series O Lecture: Free pre-performance lecture in the Opera House especially designed for Generation O members and open to all Lucia ticket holders - Fri., Nov. 18 at 6:15 p.m. Patrons must present a ticket or stub from any performance of this production.
Artist Q&A's follow the performances on: Sun., Nov. 13 and Mon., Nov. 14.
- Sarah Coburn, Lucia (Nov. 10, 13m, 15, 18)
- Lyubov Petrova, Lucia (Nov. 12, 14, 16, 19)
- Saimir Pirgu, Edgardo (Nov. 10, 13m, 15, 18)
- Alexey Dolgov, Edgardo (Nov. 12, 14, 16, 19)
- Michael Chioldi, Enrico (Nov. 10, 13m, 15, 18)
- Brian Mulligan, Enrico (Nov. 12, 14, 16, 19)
- Mirco Palazzi, Raimondo (Nov. 10, 13m, 15, 18)
- Paolo Pecchioli, Raimondo (Nov. 12, 14, 16, 19)
- Sarah Mesko, Alisa
- Jeffrey Gwaltney, Normanno
- Corey Evan Rotz, Arturo
- Philippe Auguin, conductor
- David Alden, director
- Lucia di Lammermoor Preview Concert The Domingo-Cafritz Young Artists perform excerpts from Lucia di Lammermoor
A production of the Clarice Smith Opera Series.
David and Alice Rubenstein are the Presenting Underwriters of WNO.
Generous support for WNO Italian opera is provided by Daniel and Gayle D’Aniello.
Group of 20 or more? Group Sales offers special terms and discounts for most performances.
- Audio Described
- Exclusive presale to donors
- Exclusive presale to WNO Subscribers
- Exclusive presale to NSO Subscribers
- On sale to MyTix members
Performance information is unavailable for this event.