Washington National Opera: Madama Butterfly
- Feb. 26 - Mar. 19, 2011
- Opera House
- Approx. 2-1/2 hours
- $55.00 - $300.00
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.
Libretto by I. Illica and G. Giacosa
One of the world's most beloved operas returns in a romantic production from San Francisco Opera. The innocent Butterfly catches the eye of a caddish, young American Naval officer, who makes her his temporary "wife." When his time in Japan is over, he abandons her. Dishonored, Butterfly is bereft. For more than a century, audiences have been thrilled by Puccini's haunting, poignant music and touched by the lovely Butterfly, who gives up everything for love.
Two highly acclaimed sopranos share the role of Cio-Cio-San: Ana María Martínez, whose "beautifully sung and finely detailed" (The Chicago Tribune) performances have made her one of the most sought-after lyric sopranos of our time, and Catherine Naglestad, who's known for her "ravishingly beautiful singing" (Opera News). Tenors Alexey Dolgov and Thiago Arancam share the role of the faithless B.F. Pinkerton, and baritones Michael Chioldi and Hyung Yun (former Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist) share the role of Sharpless. WNO General Director Plácido Domingo and Philippe Auguin conduct this timeless classic, directed by Ron Daniels in his WNO debut, with sets and costumes by Tony Award-winning designer Michael Yeargan.
Performed in Italian with English supertitles.
Supertitles may not be visible from the rear of the orchestra; please contact WNO Audiences Services at (202) 295-2400 for further information.
The performance runs approximately 2 hours, 38 minutes, with one 20-minute intermission.
PLEASE NOTE: Late seating is not permitted during the performance. Monitors are available outside of the Opera House for late arrivals to view the opera. Patrons may take their seats during the first intermission. Please plan travel carefully and allow extra time for traffic, parking, and walking to the Opera House.
Free Pre-Performance Lectures in the Opera House - Fri, Mar. 4 & Thu, Mar. 10 at 6:15 p.m., and Thu, Mar. 17 at 12:45 p.m. Patrons must present a ticket or stub from any performance of this production.
Artist Q&A's follow the Sunday matinee performances: Mar. 6 & Mar. 13; Mon eves, Mar. 7 & 14; and Thu mat, Mar. 17.
Note: Tickets for five added performances of Madama Butterfly (Tue, 3/8; Sun, 3/13; Mon, 3/14; Thu, 3/17; Sat, 3/ 19) go on sale at the KC Box Office on Mon., Jan. 3, 2011.
- Ana Maria Martínez, Cio-Cio-San (Mar 1, 4, 6m, 8, 13m, 19)
- Catherine Naglestad, Cio-Cio-San (Feb 26, Mar 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17m)
- Alexey Dolgov, Pinkerton (Feb 26, Mar 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17m)
- Thiago Arancam, Pinkerton (Mar 1, 4, 6m, 8, 13m, 19)
- Margaret Thompson, Suzuki (Feb 26, Mar 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17m, 19)
- Ning Liang, Suzuki (Mar 1, 4, 6m, 8, 13m)
- Michael Chioldi, Sharpless (Feb 26, Mar 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17m)
- Hyung Yun, Sharpless (Mar 1, 4, 6m, 8, 13m, 19)
- Philippe Auguin, conductor (Feb 26, Mar 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 14, 19)
- Plácido Domingo, conductor (Mar 8, 13m, 17)
- Ron Daniels, director
- Michael Yeargan, set/costume design
- Stephen Strawbridge, lighting design