Washington Performing Arts Society: Markus Groh, piano
- Sat., Jun. 1, 2013, 2:00 PM
- Terrace Theater
- Approx. 2 hours
Please use the event calendar to search for current events.
Hayes Piano Series
Markus Groh, piano
Sharing the same birthday with celebrated pianists Alfred Brendel and Maurizio Pollini, Markus Groh, the first-ever German winner of the prestigious Queen Elisabeth Competition, has proven himself among the finest pianists in the world. "Among the pianists laying claim to Liszt as a central figure in their repertoire, Groh's fingers and sense of comprehension set a new modern standard" (Philadelphia Inquirer). Mr. Groh's program will include works by Beethoven, Golijov, Hindemith, Liszt, and Liszt/Wagner.
Performance Timing: Part One - 53 min.; Intermission - 18 min.; Part Two - 41 min.
Program and Notes
- Partita for Keyboard No. 4 in D major, BWV 828
- Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major, Op. 101
- Piano Sonata No. 3 (1936)
- "O du mein holder Abendstern" from Tannhäuser
- Two pieces from Années de pèlerinage I: Suisse, S. 160
- No. 5: Orage (Storm) No. 9: Les Cloches de Genève (The Bells of Geneva)
- Concert Paraphrase from Verdi's Rigoletto