Principal, The Mrs. Demarest Lloyd Chair
Offsite Event: NSO in Your Neighborhood: Brookland to NoMa - Union Market
Offsite Event: NSO in Your Neighborhood: Brookland to NoMa - Echostage
Offsite Event: NSO in Your Neighborhood: Brookland to NoMa - McKinley Tech
The Kennedy Center Chamber Players: Works by Bartók, Ravel, Bowen, & Arensky
Eastman School of Music
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
I love playing Mozart and Haydn. And as a flutist, I always look forward to Debussy and Ravel. They gave us some of the most colorful solos in the repertoire.
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
I eat a light dinner and avoid sugar before concerts. I like to get to the concert hall at least 40 minutes early to change clothes and prepare for the performance.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
Our 2013 European Tour is a highlight for me. So was Eschenbach's Turangalîla-Symphonie a few years ago.
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
Mahler Das Lied von der Erde
Brahms Violin Concerto
Anything sung by Cecilia Bartoli
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
My sister studied piano and my brother studied saxophone, but neither did it seriously.
7. What did you want to be growing up?
I was interested in sciences.
8. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
My first semester at Eastman, I signed up for a science class at the University of Rochester. A few weeks into the semester, I remember waiting for the bus to take me back to Eastman thinking to myself that I would rather be practicing. I dropped the class and fully committed myself to becoming a professional musician.
9. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
DC is an international city and I've met people from all over the world. We are also fortunate to have so many great cultural institutions putting on concerts, lectures, and educational programs year round.
10. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
Walking through Rock Creek Park with my family, attending concerts, finding new places to eat.
11. Favorite sports team:
I don't enjoy watching sports, but I like running.
12. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
In high school, my youth orchestra conductor didn't think I was any good and tried to kick me out of the group. I took two auditions to keep my spot.