National Symphony Orchestra: Ludovic Morlot, conductor: Sharon Isbin, guitar, plays Rodrigo / Works by Berlioz, Ravel, & Dukas
Fireworks! A recital with NSO organist William Neil + NSO brass & percussion
NSO Teddy Bear Concert: Fiddlin' Around
The Kennedy Center Chamber Players: Works by Beethoven & Brahms
NSO Pops: Kendrick Lamar
1. What university or conservatory did you attend?
Butler University/Cleveland Institute of Music
a. Was it for music?
Butler, no. CIM, yes.
2. What is your favorite piece (or pieces) to play in the orchestra?
The one I'm playing at any given moment.
3. Do you have a pre-concert ritual or routine?
Yes. I get to the hall early to check the humidity, adjust accordingly and clear my timpani heads every evening before a concert.
4. Describe your favorite NSO moment:
When Jim Hewitt, the Personnel Manager, offered me the job.
5. What are three songs or pieces you love to listen to?
Ravel Piano Concerto in G major, 2nd movement; Ravel Mother Goose; Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet
6. Did you grow up in a musical household?
7. What did you want to be growing up?
Never really thought about it.
a. When did you know you wanted to be a professional classical musician?
My senior year at Butler.
8. What is your favorite thing about living in the DC area?
The park-like atmosphere, all of the free cultural activities and NFL RedZone (they didn't have it in my previous city).
9. Where is your favorite DC hangout?
District Commons and Mandu!
10. Do you have any pets?
Yes! Manny, a Tibetan Terrier.
11. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
Either at home in my loft relaxing or out with my boys.
12. Favorite movie:
Coming to America
13. Favorite sports team:
GO COLTS! GO BUTLER BULLDOGS!
14. Name one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
My degree isn't in music; it's in Arts Administration.