- Application Information:
- Deadline: January 26, 2015
The National Symphony Orchestra National Trustees
Summer Music Institute
Every summer, approximately 60 students (ages 15-20) from all over the United States, as well as a number of other countries, meet in Washington, D.C. at the Kennedy Center to attend the National Symphony Orchestra's Summer Music Institute (SMI).
This 4-week full scholarship program includes:
- Private lessons taught by a member of the NSO
- Chamber music coaching by NSO musicians
- Master classes and seminars
- Side-by-side orchestra rehearsals with the NSO
- Attendance at selected rehearsal and performances of the NSO
- Participation in the NSO Summer Music Institute Orchestra, conducted by Elizabeth Schulze
- Performance opportunities in DC metropolitan area, including on the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage
- Exposure to internationally-renowned conductors, soloists, and musicians
Each student accepted into the program attends on full scholarship, which includes housing, lessons, a food allowance, and local transportation during their stay.
Questions: Contact NSO Education 202.416.8820 or NSOSMI@kennedy-center.org
The 2015 SMI application has now been posted, to apply please click the "Online Application" button below.
SMI Application Deadline
Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. (EST)
(Program dates: June 29-July 26, 2015)
The following materials are required for the SMI application:
- Orchestral excerpts for instrument
- Solo piece
- One Recommendation from music teacher or conductor (send recommendation e-mail to Carole Wysocki. Be sure to include your name and SMI recommendation in the subject line.)
- Applicant's Musical Resumé
All application materials, except the recommendation letter, are to be uploaded onto the online application.Other Resources
- 2015 SMI Faculty
- Financial Aid Application (US applicants only)
- Program Description and Application Instructions
- SMI Flyer
- Sample Program Schedule
If you have any questions, please contact the NSO Education Program at
(202) 416-8820 or by e-mail at NSOSMI@kennedy-center.org
David and Alice Rubenstein are the Presenting Underwriters of the NSO.
The National Symphony Orchestra Summer Music Institute is made possible through generous support from the
U.S. Department of Education and the National Symphony Orchestra National Trustees.
Education and related artistic programs are made possible through the generosity of the
National Committee for the Performing Arts and the Presidentâ€™s Advisory Committee on the Arts.
The content of these programs may have been developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and does not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education. You should not assume endorsement by the federal government.