...supporting the outreach programs of the NSO
Formed in 1941 by the NSOA, the Women's Committee has given its support, both as members and volunteers, to the orchestra through a variety of activities over the years. It has provided funding for the Principal Oboe Chair, the sixth NSO subscription week, one NSO guest conductor week annually, and one NSO Young People's Concert annually. The group also organizes and staffs music education programs for all ages and meets in six regional chapters and as a whole for business, social and musical events.
A Note from the President
Thank you for your interest in the Women's Committee for the National Symphony Orchestra! The Women’s Committee provides many wonderful programs in support of the Orchestra.
The WC/NSO takes pride in the volunteer spirit we bring to the NSO. Thousands of volunteer hours are given annually in support of the National Symphony’s many education and community engagement programs including the Instrument “Petting Zoos,” Family Concerts, Summer Music Institute, Young People’s Concerts, Sound Health and NSO In Your Neighborhood.
The 2014-2015 season will not only be filled with wonderful programming, which we help to promote, but also with activities that strengthen music education for young people—activities organized and supported by the Women’s Committee.
If you have time, organizational skills to share, and/or enjoy working and socializing with interesting and dedicated volunteers, join us and help make music flourish in our community.
Patricia A. Carroll
Membership is open to all who share a love of music and an interest in the National Symphony Orchestra. To become a member fill out our membership application and mail it to:
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the activities listed below please complete the membership application or contact (202) 416-8150.
- Instrument "Petting Zoos" offer young children hands-on introduction to musical instruments of the orchestra. The WCNSO owns and maintains over 200 instruments.
- NSO Young People's Concerts, where volunteers serve as monitors at concerts presented to school-age children.
- Summer Music Institute, where we provide transportation for high school musicians from across the country who come to study with the NSO.
- NSO Welcome Center, to greet patrons and provide information about programs and events before each NSO series concert.
- Musical Playtime teaches very young children about rhythm and melody through fun activities geared to their age.
- NSO Sound Health, where the WC/NSO assists the National Symphony providing activities at area hospitals.
- NSO In Your Neighborhood, where we support the NSO’s community engagement activities in DC-area neighborhoods each year.