Celebrating and Connecting Cultures Through Arts Volunteerism
Hailing from 56 countries, Global Friends are a special group of volunteers at the Kennedy Center who believe that supporting the arts is a message that needs to be spread globally. They play a vital role in celebrating and connecting cultures through arts volunteerism.
If you are visiting the U.S. for a temporary (e.g. expat) assignment, if you are from a country outside the United States, or if you speak at least one foreign language fluently and are passionate about the arts, this is the perfect volunteer opportunity for you. Global Friends assist either as Friends of the Kennedy Center on a weekly basis, or on an as-needed basis as a Festival/Event volunteer for the Center's many international festivals, one-day volunteer opportunities as well as other international projects. To learn more about the Festival/Event volunteer program.
Global Friends in Action
Global Friends Enjoy these Exclusive Benefits
*Benefits are rewarded based on volunteer hours recorded online for each calendar year.
|Benefits||Just for Joining||1-20 Hours||20-60 Hours||60 Hours+|
|Be a part of the Action by being on our email list for volunteer opportunities|
|Invitations to Global Friends networking events and happy hours for you and a friend|
|$3 parking voucher during volunteer shift|
|25% discount at the Kennedy Center Gift Shops!|
|25% discount at the KC Café|
|Special Gift: Tumbler|
|Free ticket offers to Kennedy Center performances|
Global Friends offer many skills and services, such as supporting the Kennedy Center's international festivals, serving as translators, and providing tours in 17 different languages at the nation's busiest performing arts center.
Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Assist in developing strategies to attract international communities to enjoy tours in their language and events at the Kennedy Center;Volunteer for outreach recruitment events at local international festivals, e.g. Washington, D.C.'s Turkish festival;
- Help to identify writing and speaking opportunities in the area of arts volunteerism in Washington, D.C.'s international circles, as well as in other countries;
- Ad hoc projects as the international outreach program grows such as assisting with workshops, research, and outreach;Translation projects if qualified;
- Social media in your native language for events such as World Dance Day;
- Be a part of Friends monthly outreach meetings;
- Volunteer for international festivals.
As the program grows, there will continue to be more opportunities to assist the Kennedy Center with various international projects.
Do you celebrate an international heritage? Love the Kennedy Center? Want to give back to the arts? Join Global Friends, individuals from 56 (and growing) different countries who celebrate and connect cultures through volunteering at the Kennedy Center.
Interested in Joining Global Friends? Click here!
It is easy to get involved!
About Şirin Köprücü – Chair, Global Friends
After volunteering with the Kennedy Center for five years Şirin Köprücü shared the Kennedy Center's vision about supporting arts volunteerism globally and helped start the Global Friends program in 2007. The program started a research initiative, instantly attracted many volunteers and resulted in speaking opportunities for the Center in other countries."
Şirin Köprücü is the owner of StrategicStraits, Inc, an international business training an consulting firm which supports arts volunteerism and arts center management around the world. For further information visit Arts – A Global Connector.