The George Rogers Clark room (affectionately called "The Bird Room"), so named because of the contribution by the George Rogers Clark Society of Virginia that funded construction of the room. Clark was a frontiersman, American Revolutionary War general and the brother of William Clark, who was part of the Lewis & Clark expedition exploring the American west in the early 1800s.
Displayed here in the George Rogers Clark room are porcelains from the studio of Edward Marshall Boehm. Mr. Boehm was a lover of nature who in 1950 started the Boehm Porcelain Studio, where he captured birds, small animals, and flowers in their natural habitat. Boehm porcelains are highly prized and have been owned by discriminating collectors around the world, including several American Presidents.
Approximately 120 porcelain sculptures are displayed in this room, most of which came from the collections of 2 couples who donated the works to the Kennedy Center. The cabinets housing the porcelains were given by Mrs. Boehm, who assumed the management of the studio after her husband's death. Of special interest are the white swans in the case at this end. They are a smaller version of the porcelain swans President Nixon presented to Chairman Mao on his historic visit to China in 1972. In the original sculpture, the larger of the 2 swans has a wingspan of 7 feet.
The Bird Room is located on the Second Tier of the Concert Hall and can be used for cocktail receptions and seated dinners.