Open House Arts Festival
Click image below to download and print the PDF of the day's schedule.
Programs, schedules, and artists subject to change without notice.
- Opening Ceremony
- (K) (ASL)
- In the South Plaza Circus Tent At Noon
- Metro, Smooth Jazz 105.9, MIX 107.3
- Kick off the festivities with the exhilarating music and choreography of Portland Taiko...the gravity-defying moves of The Jesse White Tumbling Team ...and Texas trick roper Burt Hairgrove, who’s been keeping the “wild” in Wild West for more than a decade.
- Circus Parade
- Main Plaza 3 P.M.
- WAMU 88.5
- At 3 p.m., make your way to the Main Plaza to join in the celebration! Volunteers will be handing out balloons while the parade rolls along with stilted ringmaster/puppeteer Christopher Hudert and his life-size marionette of Shere Khan the tiger, Burt Hairgrove, the Russian American Kids Circus, The Jesse White Tumbling Team, the duo of Nicolo and the Queen of Whimsey, and many more - plus the U.S. Park Police Horse Mounted Unit, one of America’s oldest police equestrian teams.
More Family Fun!
- Edwin Fontánez's Washington Chalk Festival
- News Channel 8, The Politico, ABC-7
- Now in its 11th year! Watch local artists at work and create your own colorful sidewalk masterpiece in chalk. This year, the festival welcomes the participation of VSA arts and special guest artist Sidewalk Sam.
12:15 - 6 p.m., NORTH PLAZA
- Main Plaza Tent (K)
- El Tiempo Latino
- Kids enjoy hands-on fun with instruments with the NSO Instrument "petting Zoo", a project of the Women's Committee for the NSO. Plus, play dress up with the Washington National Opera's "Costume Trunk" and release your inner opera star!
2:15 - 6 p.m.
- Atrium Workshop Zone
- Get an up-close, hands-on learning experience with some of today's performers!
- Russian American Kids Circus, 12:30 - 1:15 p.m. (ASL)
- SteveSongs, 2 - 2:45 p.m.
- The Perfect Unknowns, 3:30 - 4:15 p.m. (ASL)
- Akim Funk Buddha, 5 - 5:45 p.m. (ASL)
- Costumed Characters And Book Signing
- Mosby the Kennedy Center Cat and the National Symphony Orchestra's Maestro Mouse make for great photos! Plus, husband-and-wife author/illustrator team Peter and Cheryl Barnes will be signing their children's book Maestro Mouse and the Mystery of the Missing Baton from 12 - 3 p.m. in front of the Hall of States Gift Shop.
- WTOP's "Man About Town" Bob Madigan
- WTOP 103.5
- The roving reporter will be checking out today's activities, interviewing the crowd, and reporting back to WTOP for radio broadcast.
- Education Station
- Head to the Opera House lobby and explore what goes on beyond the stages of the Kennedy Center!
- Washington Arts Exchange
- WMAL 630
- Check out local organizations that contribute to D.C.'s vibrant cultural scene.
12 - 6 p.m., NORTH GRAND FOYER
The Kennedy Center thanks the Friends of the Kennedy Center Volunteers and its Open House Co-Chairs. Also, thanks to these volunteers who have given 23 years of service to the festival: Frank Beachem, Carmella Connelly, Lucille Kobasa, Ruth Shapiro, and Bill Wortley.